Tuesday, May 25, 2010

shaman theologian

To know anything, you must "go native." You must become that which you are trying to understand. To know God, you must become God, a simultaneous leap into each other's skin, laughing and whooping with the playful joyousness of it all.

Do you think that the one who gave form to the platypus, to humans has no sense of humor? I say unto thee: Jump into while being jumped into! Leap into the leaping!

We know as we are known, and we are known as we know.

We are inquired into as deeply as we inquire.

We leap into God as God leaps into us.

This is what is meant by shaman theologian.

5 comments:

  1. Good explanation of the verse in Matthew 7 that says... depart from me, I never knew you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using the platypus and humans as two examples of God's sense of humor gave me a big smile. This was a great explanation of how to know and how to be known. Your explanations often hit me as "how to" instructions. I will enjoy putting this into practice.

    Thanks, George!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginny, I was thinking more along the lines of Heyoukediah 6 ...jump into my arms you big old ninny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patrick, though my posts may look philosophical, I experience them in my own being as highly practical/ practiceable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. George,

    They often work that way for me too. I am most grateful for that!

    ReplyDelete