Saturday, May 22, 2010

the event of the birth of the other

Long ago, and even now,
there was and is a circle
with no circumference,
a sphere with no surface,
boundless with no origin.

A stirring formed,
compassion being born,
but not without doubt.

For how can there be compassion
with no object of compassion?

The boundless birthed the bounded,
doubt required compassion,
compassion demanded doubt.

And with that,
an eternal yearning
saturated the cosmos,
a groaning for what was,
a lamenting,
countered by the glee
of sweet release.

Twins at birth, each now
consoles the other.

Doubt
con-soul-ing
compassion
con-soul-ing
doubt. . .

The boundless
birthing the bounded
is content in its dreaming;
the cosmos rejoices
in its divisive interwhirling.

The great sacrifice has been made
and all is on the altar and is the altar,
holy fires raging with sweet incense of
burning doubt consumed by compassion.

1 comment:

  1. George.

    I have long wondered about such separation. What a beautiful description.

    In thinking about this post, I keep finding myself drifting into duality, and then remembering to step back away from that trap; Old habits still in the process of burning.

    I was reminded of a program I recently watched about the beginning of the universe. The story included a raging battle between matter and anti-matter to determine the nature of existence. The relentless, vicious battle lasted seemingly forever, but only took a fraction of a nanosecond by our clock, so the narrator concluded. The “victory” came down to one atom more of matter than anti-matter, he surmised.

    Now I wondered if this program missed a crucial point; It is not so much that matter defeated anti-matter as it is descriptive of how the process of creation moves from birth to death; from known to unknowable; over and over again. One river flowing in both directions, making everything one.

    I awoke this morning with your earlier reference to “the pearl purchased at great expense” on my mind. In the fire of doubt where we burn, and in the burning consumed by compassion, I see the pearl being formed, and I smile with joy over the beauty and elegance of something I can only grasp via metaphors.

    Love to you, my friend. Thanks for such a wonderful eye opener on this beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete