Friday, May 21, 2010

appreciation

I hang my butt out to dry on this blog or another most every day. From that point of view (somewhat selfish), I appreciate all comments made. Mutual self-disclosure is much more satisfactory and enlightening. I like it when your butt shares the clothesline.

A friend of mine reminded me the other day that when six-year-olds are asked a question in the class room, hands shoot up everywhere, comments ready and forthcoming. As students get older, a question is asked and everyone sits in embarrassed or stuporous silence. No one wants to reveal what they are thinking lest it be WRONG. One must be RIGHT or one says nothing. RIGHT-WRONG has been manufactured and put in the hands of others. I call it the Lady Gaga Effect. Not only must one exist in stupor, but by Zeus, if one does say something, opens one's mouth, it must have STYLE.

Alan Watts said: Sincerity is simple nerve.

I have a more deeply and profoundly felt appreciation than the first one I mentioned. I appreciate the sincerity and nerve expressed by all. I do not always respond directly to each of your comments, but I am directly affected by all. I listen to what you say and I thank you.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Teacher,
    I find myself grow more muted. It's my form of self-censorship. As I try to speak, there's that little voice in the back of my mind saying, "That's not true -- so just shut up."
    When I try to spew forth wisdom, I'm a braying ass.
    I know so little. Better, I think, to try and use my ears to hear.
    Love,
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition to sincerity and nerve, I appreciate the image of all our butts hanging on the same line. Ancient Romans "filed" official documents by threading a string through a hole in the top of the parchment. 'File' is from filum, or thread. They literally hung the documents on a line, to dry, for safekeeping, and for retreival. The documents were the official record of someone's spoken word; authenticated, notarized, signed, and sealed; all forms of Roman technique and whose words derived from Latin. We are connected, and affected, by our collective past, by our future, by our opinions and our words, whether we know it or admit it, silent or vocal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. George,

    Your butt is lovely. I value all that you put forth. I do not always respond outwardly. Yet my heart often resonates with joy. Much thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what Joe wrote, and I feel the same in many ways, except sadly this ass (me) can't stop braying. I am grateful to all who follow this blog for putting up with some of the odd comments I write here from time-to-time when trying to make a point.

    Joe's comments reminded me of the reading from first Corinthians that we hear a lot at weddings -- If I speak without love, I am a resounding gong, a clanging cymbal. As long we speak with genuine love -- like the many followers of this blog do -- we are shining the light, maybe even when we least expect it.

    TO George and the rest of this virtual clan, I love you all. Thank you for the light you shine. The illumination is wonderful, especially at those times when I am otherwise in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. George,

    I appreciate your thoughts and your wisdom. I am not stroking your ego here. All of us are trying to see through or minimize our egos, trying to help one another on the path of self discovery and the ultimate realization of just who we are. We all stumble and fall, pick ourselves up, laugh, and carry on towards the goal of getting back to the Bliss.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hanging your butt out to dry???! This certainly gives a different meaning to, "The end is near."

    Thank you, brother George. I appreciate your lighthouse-ness, where ocean and shore meet--both being ex-press-ions of the Source.

    No buts about it...


    --Gary

    ReplyDelete
  7. George,
    auirt Retw, I kloppPPoneing
    Y Gnbfolr nfo mnofr thna ni uu ...
    anmin it ehi...
    the space between us all...
    Love,Harlan

    ReplyDelete