Thursday, December 17, 2009

what does christmas mean to you, little boy?

Sitting here in the wee hours of the morn, I assigned myself a task. Or rather, it seemed to come unbidden. "Georgie boy, what does Christmas mean to you?"

Hmmm... The excitement of the child I was who believed in two magic and supernatural figures, much more powerful than the Tooth Fairy but of the same order: Santa Claus and Jesus. I had learned from the adults that Jesus was born into our hearts but Santa Claus actually came into the house! Scientific evidence: the milk and cookies were gone.

The time of year when as a psychologist I knew a time bomb was being planted that would explode in early January when distressed folk would be coming in from having faced their extended families once again. Old wounds would have been opened either through new raw encounter or through deep-seated memories. Post-Christmas months are a boom time for psychologists.

The joy of winter solstice, of knowing that despite all appearances, the dark had gone as far as it could go and the light was now returning. The memory of open bonfires in large back yards and all-night joyous celebration.

The blessedness of the Light of Awareness born on earth in the form of the baby Jesus.

Lights, lights, colored lights everywhere! In yards, on houses and lampposts and trees.

A tree brought inside the house! Then festooned with bulbs and icicles and ornaments.

Mistletoe for kissing any feminine being within reach.

Most of what I have written so far is based upon the sights and sounds and smells of memory. What does Christmas mean to me now as an older fart sitting here typing?

Pretty much what every day feels like. Joy at being alive and in interaction with all beings, both visible and invisible, that make up this earthocosmic existence. Feeling the magic of it all.

6 comments:

  1. George, I reflect on how far away I really am in many ways...I feel that joy of living and the magic of it all..but the interaction with beings is a stumbling point for me..I am pretty sure it is my environment..Here in this neck of the woods, unfortunately, this season brings a reigning in of action and movement,because the crime rate increases 10 fold..Have-nots who wish for more than they can have in the material zone actually will kill you if you do not give them your cellphone.. or less....It is incredible, and seems to get worse each year..
    I am thinking."Christmas, oh blessed season...where's my security guards and is the 12 guage loaded???" My only peace comes from my contact with my pets and the animals I care for in the area...The human element is a bit far-out for me...has been for some time..
    How can one feel better about humanity, when so much of what I experience concerning humans is clouded by such un-trustworthyness...???
    Thanks for the beautiful childhood memories... and the reminder of the joy of the season...I'll go back to cleaning my guns....
    HB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harlan, though I don't live in it like you do, I sure understand what you are saying. We humans are still pretty brutish beings and some much more brutish than others. Reminds me of that old World War II song: "Praise God and Pass the Ammunition"! Stay safe, Buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL you crack me up with your humor ;-D i hope one day this time/season wont bother me...and i can just relax and enjoy...(((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel the tension wherever i go...i usually am such a hermit this time of season..i hate going out. yesterday in the grocery store a woman was so upset...and the abulances (with thier red lights) are everywhere....looking forward to January 2010

    ReplyDelete
  5. O what does Christmas mean to me? Love and Joy. what else is there? (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete