Friday, December 4, 2009

response ability

Response-ability means able to respond. Each of us is responsible for our level of hassle and our depth of healing (wholeness, holiness). Other people do not hassle us. We hassle ourselves with them. Our situation does not hassle us. We hassle ourselves with our situation.

An old zen story is relevant here. A person was fishing in a boat anchored in the river. A boat came downstream and struck his. He spun around, flying into hassle mode to chew the person out, face red and contorted, muscles tensed, about to enjoy a strong outburst of righteous indignation. There was no one in the boat. He laughed, moving into healing mode.

May we move through the day as if there is no one in those boats.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Right on target for me as I was about to hassle myself over someone. I took a breath and decided to read "Intranaut" before taking any action. So glad I did! Thanks for the healing. I will be mindful to pass it on.

    ReplyDelete