Wednesday, June 23, 2010

chop, chop

When I say "my mind"
are there now two of me,
mind and one who claims it?

When I say I know my own mind,
are there now three, am I now triplets?

Is there no end to this falseness of separation?
Shall I get indignant? Start a church?

When I make a move,
who is moving and who is making?
Am I two? Is one in charge
and the other the servant?

What am I going to do with me?
Must I do something or is me okay?

I chop myself in pieces and stare at the parts.
The meat, the emotions, the thoughts.
Good god, the relationships!

Time to pull myself together.
Who is doing the pulling, who is the pulled?

I know I've got that Zen manual
around here somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully, the Zen manual still works, though the success rate seems abysmally low if my reading of Zen history is correct. Very few monks in every generation of Japanese attained enlightenment. But it beats the Western idea that only 14 people have ever attained enlightenment. Westerners give up before they even start.

    ReplyDelete