Tuesday, February 23, 2010

opening to true power

A voice spoke as if it were my own:
You have yet to claim your full powers.
I thought: I must do something about this.

Immediately from deep within the vision came
of the wilderness encounter of Jesus and the Adversary.

Three powers were offered to Jesus
  • The power of alchemical transformation. "Command that these stones be made bread."
  • The power over death. "Throw yourself off this temple pinnacle and no harm will come to you."
  • The power of ownership. "All this shall be yours if you fall down and worship me."
Each of these "powers" would require Jesus to listen to a voice not his own.

He rejected each in turn, saying he would listen only to the voice at his core, the voice of God, of his Source, the Godhead, the Tao, the Wellspring, Allah, Wakantanka, the One Whom No Name Captures.

Jesus listened to the true power. So may I. So may we all.

2 comments:

  1. Am reminded of the following:

    "One's own duty, though defective, is better than another's duty well performed. Death in (performing) one's own duty is preferable; the (performance of the) duty of others is dangerous."-- The Bhagavad Gita, 3:35


    --Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. George,

    Powerful words for me to hear today indeed. I am reminded of Jesus even recognizing the false voice in his dear friend, when he says to Peter, "Get thee behind me, Satan!"

    Gary,

    You know, I had heard that quote paraphrased before -- It is better to do your own work poorly than to do someone else's work perfectly" or something like that, but did not realize where it was from. For reasons too lengthy to explain, those words are a blessing for me this morning. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete