Friday, September 28, 2012

worry wart

Worry is the repeated visualization of disaster. As such, it is a demonic prayer form. Whatever we visualize, we now are. When we visualize disaster, we experience that disaster. Physiologically. Every cell of our body responds as if that disaster is actually taking place. Therefore it is.

The word originally meant "to strangle." Then it devolved into "to grab by the throat and shake." Now, in our more polite and abstract discourse concerning our self-harm, it refers to the causing of anxiety and distress through repetition of our favorite potential disasters. A worrier is a conjurer of black magic, one who sits and shits their spiritual pants. To worry is to forecast doom and to lend energy to making that doom happen.

The antidote to worry is not positive thinking, floating around as if everything is butterflies and roses. The antidote to worry is going out of one's mind. Not to worry, you won't miss it a bit. It will still be around. You just won't be caught up in it and grabbing yourself by the throat and shaking.

3 comments:

  1. Paul always tells me that if I want to waste my time worrying, that's what I will do, also I can't change whatever I'm worried about, so I'm slowly learning to "go with the flow" so to speak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, George. It took me many years to give up on worrying--it never worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Breed, you have posted something worthwhile, here. In the David Lean film, "A Passage to India," Alec Guinness portrays a holy man whose friend has been falsely charged with a terrible crime. When asked why he acts so nonchalantly about his friend's predicament, the holy man responds by saying,
    "Nothing that I might say or do will change the outcome." He refuses to surrender his peace of mind to a cause over which he has no power to influence one way or another. I avoid so-called "news" programs on my TV for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete