Wednesday, March 24, 2010

i gather we are

I gather we are to be sober intellectuals now
and not see angels or hear the muse.

I get it, I totally get it. I respect the brain
and the dispelling of all illusion.

But it's going a little too far.
Why tout one body part as supreme?
Might as well worship the penis or vagina.

The true brain is not that slab of meat
producing intellectual stand alone jabber,
pretending to skewer all story other than its own
and roast it on its Hitchens-Harris grill.

The true brain is the heart
that hears the kingdom of the dawn
and sees its genius, that is amazed
at the sight and sound of angels singing
of the life we are and are to become.

Keep the brain and all body parts
and let them assume their place
as part of the schema, not the totality.

We are the singing of the wisdom of the spheres
neither brain nor genitalia will ever comprehend.

1 comment:

  1. George,

    Today I am mindful that I am not only the fly, but also the spider and the web. Not only the man watching the bird sing in the tree, but also the bird and the tree. My place in the kingdom at dawn leaves me in genuine awe.

    ReplyDelete