Thursday, January 21, 2010

ego

We speak of getting rid of our ego, but no one knows what the ego really is, other than our center of consciousness.

I think what we mean is riddance of a sense of separate self. We keep our center of consciousness -- and we cannot even keep it since it is what is doing the keeping.

I will no longer honor the phrase "getting rid of ego." Instead I will use "no clinging to your reflection" since a sense of separate self is an identification with second-order reflection in the mirror of phantasy.

2 comments:

  1. Clinging to my reflection is a hard habit to even recognize. Your words reminded me of that phantasy, and in being mindful, I momentarily felt myself moving away from the habit, losing the noise and imagry that it generates, and being at One. What a feeling.

    Thank you again for shining your light! I always feel true, genuine Joy when awakened by your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Cling, cling, cling goes the folly."

    ReplyDelete