Thursday, February 16, 2012

born into a larger realm

When we understand, deeply and truly understand, that internal reality and external reality are the same reality, the world transforms. When I drop my bombs over there, I am killing and maiming myself. When I poison the Grand Canyon with my uranium mining and with the building of a huge Theme Park city at its gateway, I desecrate, eliminate forever a wild unspoiled part of me. When profit is my god, I walk on the faces of the impoverished, of that portion of me that refuses to give up its open heart and stern dignity to my relentless tread. When I see that my soul and the world soul are the same soul, I tremble with fear and anticipation. For the world to change, I must change, for I and the world are the same.

3 comments:

  1. The world will change regardless if you change. If humans change, we may not kill ourselves off through greed, stupidity, unconsciousness, etc. The world will go on with or without us. Everything is evolving or in flux.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, your stated stance is a separative one. I am pointing out there is no separation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jbmoore,

    Unless we limit the domain of discourse of "Everything is evolving or in flux." this statement implies that, at some time, there exists a thing that doesn't change. (Limiting the domain of discourse, however, would produce some rather problematic effects.)

    1. Every thing changes. (assumption)
    2. Statement (1) is true. (assumption)
    3. The truth value of (1) is a thing. (1's implicit universal domain of discourse)
    4. At some time, the truth value of (1) is false. (1, 3)
    5. Therefore, at some time, there exists a thing that doesn't change. (1, 4)

    "Everything changes" sounds very Hericlitian, but even he had Logos as the riverbed below the flow...


    --Gary

    ReplyDelete