Friday, March 11, 2011

telephone calls

When I was actively engaged as a psychotherapist, I would sometimes get calls asking if I was a Christian psychologist. To me, that was like asking if I was a Ford dealer.

As a psychologist, I was concerned with one's psyche, one's soul and spirit. If you wanted someone who would not color outside your theological lines, I was not your guy.

The theology one buys into can be, and usually is, a straitjacket for one's consciousness. In the telephone calls I mention above, I gathered that the callers wanted someone wearing the same straitjacket. "I want to resolve my problems but only within these strict bounds." Fair enough, but in the words of Mister Bob Dylan: "It ain't me, babe. It ain't me you are looking for."

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree, George, a straitjacket is an ideal visual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the thought that we are not wearing straitjackets is the toughest straitjacket to remove. I still catch myself by surprise when I realize I have donned another one.

    ReplyDelete