Thursday, September 23, 2010

the whole duck

The duck's feet paddle unceasingly and at times ferociously. Above the water, the duck floats serene.

We often live our lives as duck feet, moving, moving, always moving. Bodies moving, minds moving, emotions moving. "Head 'em up! Move 'em out! Rawhide!" "Yeah, Baby! Yeah!"

We may try to balance our duck feet self with "exercises" designed to help us become the above water serene floater. Meditation, prayer, walking, biking, yoga. We take a "breather" from our ceaseless paddling.

We switch back and forth. Feet. Floater. Feet. Floater.

The true art is to become the whole duck.

3 comments:

  1. it would be easier if we understood that salvation comes from within. Unfortunately, mainstream Christian religions believe that salvation comes from without through belief in Jesus Christ. Even Jesus told his followers that one has to look within to find God and the Kingdom. Tis the same with the Buddha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. George and jb,

    You guys quack me up.

    Thanks for the great posts. After I wade through all the thoughts floating through my mind, I remember to just be. I find salvation is right where I left it. Imaginal that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this duck analogy and that you embrace both the furiously paddling feet and the serene body of the duck. Being brought up Christian, there is that knee jerk judgment: serene is good; frantic is bad. But it is both, like you say, that makes the duck whole.

    I have been working with my own pushes and pulls, inner needs and fears, and it feels as if balance is the thing to strive for. When I'm yanked one way, focus awareness and lean a little the other way, like standing on one foot. Using balance to achieve some impartiality.

    ReplyDelete